Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Spaghetti Squash with a Cilantro Pesto

I woke up this morning at my usual time. 4:45. It was super chilly. In my opinion anyways although I think some people would disagree. (Hey I love the hot weather!) and hit the road to the gym. I was a little sluggish today for some reason, so when I came home I made sure to chug a huge water bottle of cold water. For some reason this really help to perk me up. Then packed up the oatmeal for breakfast and off to work! I chopped up some veggies before work real quick that I could roast up for later. Gotta multi task!


Im thinking today for lunch I need to do something with all that spaghetti squash I have lying around left over from my pancakes I made the other night. Using up the ol' leftovers. I actually love left overs. Gives me a chance to make some totally new from something old. Spice it up a bit.

I did a little research of squash first. I like to see what health benefits my foods have. In general its good to stay away from empty calories. Meaning limit the amount of calories with no nutritional value you take in. I LOVE this post by Katie.

Her example is spot on! A 100 calorie snack pack vs. banana. Sure banana might have a few extra calories but oh man are you getting a TON of amazing vitmains and nutrients that you body needs in that banana. If its your thing though, just keep it in moderation!! More bang for your buck and thats the way I roll! Snack pack is pretty much 100 calories of nadda. Well sugar and chemicals=) If its your thing though, just keep it in moderation!!

Ok, back to squash peeps. Squash is an amazing source of Vitamin A, Folate, Omega 3 acids, pantothenic acid and niacin. (Thank you George!) Vitamin A, in the form of beta carotene, has amazing anti inflammatory properties as well as many antioxidants. It helps protect against heart attacks and strokes. Squash is also good at regulating blood sugar levels. And I don't know about you, but when my blood sugar spikes I turn into a huge sugar monster out to destroy any innocent little cupcake that might be lying around. So regulation is a good thing=)

So for lunch today I made a quick spaghetti squash pasta toss. I love the delicate sweetness from the apples and squash. Its offset by the slight firey kick from the chili peppers. Delicious. Shrimp add a nice bit of protein to the whole toss.


Spaghetti squash and Shrimp Toss

1c. spaghetti squash
1/2 c. tomatoes
2 Tbs. diced onion
2 cups spinach
12 small shrimp
1Tbs. garlic
squeeze of lemon
pepper and red chili flakes to taste

In a small pan heat spaghetti squash on medium heat until slightly crunchy. Next add in Shrimp. When the shrimp are done add in the spinach, tomatoes and sautee for about 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. add in garlic, lemon, pepper, chili flakes and parsley. Serve hot and enjoy!


I then packed up my snacks for the day which normally is peanut butter on crackers but i decided to switch things up a bit and eat my pudding instead for a snack. I find at night I get super pickey so Im thinking that if I avoid sugar at night it might help with this. Today is an experiment! So in the bag went apples and pudding! (Along with all the fixin's!)

No comments:

Post a Comment