Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pumpkin Oat Bran Muffin Bites



This morning was cloudy and cold. One of those days where if I didnt live in SoCal I bet it would have been rainey. That is the one thing that I really miss, big thunderstorms and rainy mornings. There is something about waking up on a Saturday and hearing the pitter patter of the rain against the windows. Days like that make me want to pull the covers over my head and lay in my warm bed all day. Ah well..I'll settle for a cloudy Sunday morning for the time being instead. I woke up this cloudy morning, put on a strong pot of coffee and I just felt like baking. I had a lot of pumpkin left over from my attempt at making some pumpkin granola from earlier in the week and some bananas which were turning a lovely shade of brown. I love old bananas, it just means I get to make banana bread! So I began playing around.



These muffins contained oat bran, oatmeal, pumpkin, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, bananas, pumpkin, vanilla, eggs and brown sugar. They came out super moist, cakey and delicious. Fresh from the oven toasty warm and had the perfect fall flavors. It definently took a few tried though. But the end result was fabulous.


First batch I had a feeling my muffin batter was too wet, and once out of the oven my hunch was correct. Although not too far off. Just super moist in the middle, which I didnt mind. They had an amazing banana flavor with a hint of sweetness. So lovely! They were a little ugly since I just spooned them into the pan. But then I remember I had this awesome gadget...A cookie scoop! It makes perfect 1 Tbs scoops. The muffins came out nice and rounded the second time around.



For the second batch I added more flour and oat bran. My first batch also didnt rise as much as I wanted to so I threw in some more baking powder. The muffin on the left is the second batch and the muffin on the right is the first batch. You can see what a difference these small changes made! I was surprised how much they poofed up!




I also like something crunchy on my muffins but a streusel topping isnt exactly the healthiest. So I mixed some rolled oats, oat bran and to make it stick together I added some agave. This worked perfectly! The second batch rose very nicely, streusel topping worked out. Added a nice hint of sweet crunchiness to them and I must say they looked prettier with the scooper. They were nice and moist and the perfect breakfast snack if I do say so myself. Deeeeelish! They made the perfect mid morning snack.



No comments:

Post a Comment